UPDATE: Position Filled September 7, 2021
Position: California Christian College invites applications for the position of Bookkeeper/Finance Manager. The position will remain open until filled, but the preferred starting date is June 2021.
The College: California Christian College is a small, private institution owned and operated by the California State Association of Free Will Baptists. However, the staff and student body represent a variety of evangelical denominations. The College was founded in 1955; its campus has been in Fresno for over 50 years. Courses are offered in traditional face-to-face formats during three 15-week semesters and in online formats during three 16-week semesters. Located on the East Belmont Avenue campus of Harmony Church, the College operates on a four-day, Monday-through-Thursday schedule. Nationally accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, California Christian College is the only accredited Bible college in California’s Central Valley.
Position Description: The Bookkeeper/Finance Manager serves as the College’s primary financial officer. As currently conceived, the position is considered half-time and is compensated on the basis of 14 hours per week. (The published College office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.). Actual work hours may vary depending on payroll, student, audit, and/or additional demands.
Core responsibilities of the Bookkeeper/Finance Manager include:
- Complying with generally accepted accounting practices.
- Exercising supervision over the College’s financial status in conjunction with the President.
- Providing full and accurate financial reports to the President and the Board of Trustees concerning accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash-on-hand, and projected income on a weekly, monthly, or as-requested basis.
- Receiving, recording, and depositing in a timely manner all monies received by the College.
- Processing payments on accounts as they become due.
- Managing payroll payments, financial policies, and employee data.
- Keeping accurate and up-to-date records of all funds received and disbursed.
- Ensuring the College remains in good financial standing and reporting status with external accrediting bodies and/or government agencies (e.g., IRS, BPPE, TRACS, etc.).
- Furnishing full and accurate information in a timely manner to the institution’s accounting firm for the completion of the annual audit.
- Protecting the confidentiality of student, donor, and employee financial and personal information.
- Chairing the College’s Budget Committee.
- Directing the development of financial policies and procedures.
- Maintaining a cordial and cooperative relationship with other staff members, students, and the constituency of the College.
- Assisting in other areas as necessary and/or as requested by the President.
- Proven knowledge of bookkeeping principles and methods, including their application to work situations.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Prior experience in bookkeeping and payroll management.
- Expertise in preparing financial reports and business correspondence.
- Computer skills (e.g., QuickBooks) applicable to the requirements of the position.
- Understanding of rules and regulations controlling budgetary and internal record-keeping activities.
- Formal post-secondary training in bookkeeping/accounting preferred.
- Willingness to upgrade/enhance his/her skills as necessary/feasible.
- Commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior, to the Christian way of life, and to a local evangelical congregation.
- Agreement with the College’s philosophical, biblical, and moral/ethical statements (for the full text of these statements, go to https://calchristiancollege.edu/about/).
- Willingness to support the mission, model the core values, and pursue the stated outcomes of California Christian College.
- Ability to:
- Meet all the employment requirements of California Christian College
- Follow through with tasks in a professional and timely manner
- Work collegially with faculty and staff at the College
- Relate effectively to the College’s constituency
Physical Requirements: The Bookkeeping position is sedentary work involving repetitive motions and sometimes requiring stooping, kneeling, reaching, and lifting no more than 20 pounds. Visual acuity is necessary for preparing and analyzing written and/or computer data and for confirming the accuracy of reports. Both vocal and aural abilities are required for exchanging information with students, colleagues, constituents, and/or vendors.
- Salary in keeping with the College’s current pay scale and candidate’s qualifications
- Benefits include two weeks paid vacation (as well as a four-day work-week and other holidays/breaks throughout the academic year)
Application Process: To be considered for this position, applicants should submit the following materials:
- Current resume or professional vitae
- Completed California Christian College “Application for Employment”
- The names of three references, including their telephone numbers, email addresses, and a description of the applicant’s relationship with each individual (e.g., personal friend, minister/pastor, employer/supervisor, colleague). At least one reference should be able to affirm the applicant’s Christian commitment and church/ministry involvement.
The mission of California Christian College is to offer academic programs that develop Christian leaders to serve Christ both in the church and in society.
Materials may be submitted electronically or in hard-copy format.
All faculty and staff members at California Christian College subscribe to the philosophical, biblical, and moral/ethical statements provided in the College Catalog.
California Christian College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, disability, or national/ ethnic origin in the administration of its educational programs, including employment. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Forward application materials to:
Dr. Timothy M. Powell, President
California Christian College
5364 East Belmont Avenue
Fresno, CA 93727
559-251-4215, extension 1003